Monday, September 17, 2012

A prayer to pray when facing a trial

Dear Lord, would you comfort me right now:

2 Corinthians 1:3-11:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

God, would you give me peace beyond understanding, the ability to rejoice through your Spirit, and would you fill my mind with your truth and an eternal perspective:  
Philippians 4:4-9:


Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Would you let me know your love and presence, and would you just give me rest in your arms. Would you be my friend and Daddy right now. Would you help me to experience your intercession on my behalf and your deep care and concern for me.  
Romans 8:26-39

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[i] have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son...
31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died —more than that, who was raised to life —is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
    we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Would you fill me to overflowing with patience and longsuffering. Lord, would you fill me with your Spirit and your fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control (Galatians 6). Would you set me 100% free from caring what others think of me (Galatians 1:10). Would you comfort me in feeling like a failure, for there is now NO condemnation for us who are in you (Romans 8:1).

Father, would you give me wisdom, revelation, and insight to better see and understand where you are in this situation right now and what you are teaching me about yourself, your ways, and my own heart. Would you give me wisdom and revelation to know you more, to know your ways more, to see the state of my own heart more clearly (and my great need for you) and to know the power that is available to me through your Spirit--the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead (Ephesians 1:15-23).

Father I rejoice with GREAT joy that you are in the middle of this situation working more mightily than I could ever imagine. Thank you thank you thank you that no trial is a waste, and that you are working even this together for my good, to draw me to yourself, to help me depend on you more, to help me be more empty of myself and more full of you, to conform me to your character, to work through me. Help me to know and trust that you are working through me far beyond anything I can see, and please help me know your love for me even in my stumbles. Please alert me to any false thoughts that are not from you, and any ways that the enemy is trying to steal, kill, and destroy. Equip and empower me to be a fearless and courageous warrior in my spirit against the enemy.

If you are being persecuted for righteousness sake and the sake of the gospel:
Jesus, would you take me on a journey with you to the cross, where mockers, sinners, and haters scoffed at you, spit at you, made fun of you, the Lord of the Universe, their Creator. Would you show and impart to my heart on that journey how to love those who mock you too...for I too have mocked you. Would you set my heart free to see them through your eyes and cry out with you, "Father forgive them, they know not what they do!" Would you also show me any ways that my enemies mirror my own heart, and the ways that I do the exact same things as them.

If you feel discouraged by weakness or failure as a witness for Christ to others:
God would you encourage me and give me glimpses of the work you are doing through me despite feeling sometimes like it is futile. Would you show me that you are bigger than our weaknesses and failures. Would you take my broken and humbled heart and breathe life and joy into it with the knowledge of the goodness of this heart state before you. Would you help me rejoice and welcome this brokenness and see your ways, your purposes, and your plans in it. God would you just work miracles in my heart and through me in the coming weeks and months and put a new song of joy and praise on my lips. Despite anything my friends might do or say these next two weeks, would you just empower me. Would you help me know I am not alone, and send your angels and your Spirit to minister to me. Would you put a fortress of protection around me and put an open heaven over my heart where angels and your Spirit can freely attend to me without warfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment